“Rocky” is the ultimate loser done good movie. Artfully crafted, all the way down to the way Rocky speaks, Stallone’s script is a beautiful reminder that love and success exists for everyone. But you have to work for that shit, man.
I don’t remember how old I was when I first watched “Rocky,” but it came out when I was two, so I imagine it wasn’t until the mid to late 80s. Man, they just don’t make movies like this anymore.
Burgess Meredith, Talia Shire, and Burt Young all turn in excellent performances about these down on their luck people and the toll it takes. If you haven’t checked out “Rocky” yet, then you need to.
10) “I don’t want nothin’ from you. I don’t want nothin’ from you. This ain’t no charity case.”
09) “At least you had a prime! I didn’t have no prime. I didn’t have nothin’! Leg’s are goin’, everything is goin’. Nobody’s getting’ no nothin’.”
08) “Keep hittin’em in the ribs ya see? Don’t let that bastard breathe!”
07) “He doesn’t know it’s a damn show! He thinks it’s a damn fight!”
06) “Stay in school and use your brain. Be a doctor, be a lawyer, carry a leather briefcase. Forget about sports as a profession. Sports make ya grunt and smell. See, be a thinker, not a stinker.”
05) “Because you got a big mouth. You know, you just talk too much.”
04) “Yeah, to you it’s Thanksgiving; to me it’s Thursday.”
03) “You’re gonna eat lightnin’ and you’re gonna crap thunder!”
02) “I was thinkin’, it really don’t matter if I lose this fight. It really don’t matter if this guy opens my head, either. ‘Cause all I wanna do is go the distance.”
01) “Einstein flunked out of school, twice. Beethoven was deaf. Helen Keller was blind. I think Rocky’s got a good chance.”