I enjoy war movies. I blame my dad. He enjoys them as well, more than I do, and if you read the “Full Metal Jacket” post, you’ll see what I’m talking about. This is just one of the many war movies that I’ve enjoyed. The good ones never paint war in that propaganda-ish light, but rather how fucked up and brutal war is, but also how there can be beauty in it.
Kinda like life, you know.
“Platoon” is another one of those war movies that made an impression on me at a young age. So pay attention, kids, as Charlie Sheen (before his motherfucking sorcerer days) steps into Chris Taylor’s shoes and dispenses life wisdom alongside Sgts. Barnes and Elias, Bunny, Junior, Manny, Big Harold, and the rest of their platoon.
10) “‘Cause it’s politics, man, politics.”
09) “I told the Padre the truth, man. I like it here. You get to do what you want. Nobody fucks with you. The only worry you got is dying. And if that happens, you won’t know about it anyway. So what the fuck, man.”
08) “I don’t know brothers, but I’m hurting real bad inside.”
07) “Out here, assholes, you keep your shit wired tight at all times!”
06) “Somewhere out there is the beast and he hungry tonight.”
05) “She’s a fucking human being, man! Fuck you!”
04) “I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy; we fought ourselves. And the enemy was in us.”
03) “Death? What do you all know about death?”
02) “There’s the way it ought to be. And there’s the way it is.”
01) “It’s the way the whole thing works. People like Elias get wasted. People like Barnes just go on making up the rules any way they want. So what do we do? Sit in the middle and suck on it. We just don’t add up to dry shit, King.”