Transformers: The Movie was one of the best things to come out of my childhood. I bring it up today because I had a conversation with a friend last week about this movie. We both agreed that watching Optimus Prime die was scarring, yet needed.
Why? Because our heroes eventually die.
Prime stayed mostly dead. He came back, briefly, for the Dark Awakening episode, and then two-part Return of Optimus Prime that featured the Hate Plague. He was back after that, but only because the galaxy needed him, and there we learned that our heroes are ideals and they never really die.
And they say the cartoons of the 80s weren’t any good. I guess that meant ahead of their time.
10) “I have nothing but contempt for this court.”
09) “Turbo roddin’ young punk! I’ll straighten you out yet.”
08) “We can’t hold out forever, Kup, but we can give them one humongous repair bill.”
07) “Old Timer? That’s something you’ll never be, if you don’t get back to the city.”
06) “Why settle for a peek, Daniel, when you can see everything from Lookout Mountain?”
05) “Wheelie say, find friends today!”
04) “Watch, I’ll have them eating out of my hands. Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong!”
03) “You, who are without mercy, now plead for it? I thought you were made of sterner stuff!”
02) “I’ve got better things to do tonight than die.”
01) “One shall stand, one shall fall.”