I own the book by Jonathan Tropper and haven’t read it. I’m kind of afraid to, actually, which is weird. As a writer, I love books (even bad ones), but in this case, I enjoyed the movie so much, I don’t want the book to disappoint at all. That said, I will eventually get around to reading “This Is Where I Leave You” and, well, you probably should as well.
And if you haven’t seen the movie, then you’re missing a treat. A family comes together to grieve their father and husband, and, well, if you’re actually a part of a family, you’ll get it. The jokes aren’t the same, the lifestyle isn’t the same, but the feelings, man, the fucking feelings. Those are spot on.
So here, take these tips from the Altmans, and love better.
10) “I always knew there was something of a cold hearted slut in you.”
09) “Stop chasing tens. Bang a four. Bang a five. Look at the gratitude in their face. You be the best part of their year.”
08) “You know, in some cultures, people actually enjoy sex.”
07) “I think he liked us because we’re a lot like him; he liked Phillip because he’s nothing like him.”
06) “What’s the matter with you. Do you ever think before you speak?”
05) “She was sleeping with somebody else for a year and you never noticed… How in love could you have been?”
04) “Well, I’m no expert… but I think you’re gonna have to make much larger sacrifices down the road.”
03) “It’s hard to see people from your past when your present is so cataclysmically screwed up.”
02) “It would be a terrible mistake to go through life thinking that people are the sum total of what you see.”
01) “You guys are idiots, but you’re my idiots.”